Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgivng Day Memories

Happy Thanksgiving! Remember, Thanksgiving is not just one day out of a year. Let's have the attitude that thanksgiving is everyday. Amen!

I am thankful that I can gather together with some of my siblings and a few of their children. I believe that this Thanksgiving will be very very special. Be Thankful. God Bless.

Shalom,
Journaling_Susan

P.S.
Praying for the nation of India...
Indians,Westerners, and Israelites.
God protection...

On My Journey Of Transformation: Thanksgiving Day Memories
I've been thinking about some of our family gatherings on Thanksgiving Day. I remember during mid 1970's -1980s when would gather at our family home. I call it "the house that my father built."

We girls would go to the store to buy the food. We had to find the biggest 2 turkeys we could find. It think they were about 25- 30 pound turkeys. We had a lot to family members. The oldest sister did most of the cooking. I can't remember when she started. I always remember her cooking.

We would have a lot to eat. Turkey was not the only meat there. There's ham. (Through the years, chicken, smoked turkey with tasted like ham were served along with other foods.) Here is what I can recall on the list.

There was the usual, stuffing, real mash potatoes and some times gravy, sweet potatoes, yams, macaroni and cheese casserole, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, salad, corn, green beans, peas, spinach with mustard greens, celery sticks, cornbread, dinner rolls, a lot of pumpkin pies, apple pies, other kinds of pies, jelled cranberries, whip cream, cookies, candy canes, misc sweets, a lot of soda pop, water and some egg nog.

We would all gather together to pray, give thanks and bless the meal.
I remember one day a friend ask me this question. How did we eat? It may sound like a silly question. But I did respond with an answer. Just like everyone else, with a fork. When it came time to eat, I ate.

I knew where my friend was coming from. I came from a large family. We all couldn't sat at the table together. When we ate we had to eat in different rooms. We would get our plates. Then found some where to eat.

Some of us would stay at the dinning room table. Others would plant themselves around the T.V. to watch the games in the front room or family room. Some of us would start to gather around 2 PM or 3 PM and some would leave around 5 PM or 6 PM. There the years we would watch a the news when we gather together.

By the 1980's - 1990's we started to have our Thanksgiving Day gatherings at one of our brothers. He lived just down the street from the family home. Our brother's place was much better for us to gather.

There were games to play. I tried to play pool. There's a music to listen to. There was even a dance floor. We had fun. There were even people who would stopped by. Yes, we had a lot of food. There were people taking some food home with them.

I have fond memories of Thanksgiving Day as well as other family gatherings. Now days those who can gather come together. This gatherings are special too.

Some of many siblings have their own families or go to their in laws. Some live out of town. But for those who gather together have kept the tradition. The ones who can't make it call.

We are blessed to have a place to gather each year. There's still a lot of foods. But at times there are a lot less people. I try to record our little gatherings. Each year is different but we have a lot of fun.

Thanksgiving Day Memories:
I hope that this Thanksgiving you will have lots of memories.
May all the trimming be there for you.
Give thanks to God always.

Words From A Psalms:
You are my hiding place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah NKJV Psalm 32:7

Words From Wisdom:
Be diligent to know the state of your flocks. And attend to your herds; NKJV Proverbs 27:23

P.S.
The Gathering... Thanksgiving Dinner
I had a wonderful time. We had a lot of food. It was a special gathering. It has been about 5 years since one of my nephews was here with us on Thanksgiving. There was a lot of laughing going on. We watched football.

This is the Year of New Beginnings. There's about 32 more days left in this year. The door of Hope is still open.

With a thankful heart,
Journaling_Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment