Friday, August 21, 2020

Chosen Family: Myrtle Peyton #52Ancestors 52 Weeks

I  was thinking about one of my DNA cousins. His match confirmed someone on my Bartlett family tree. It was an answer to my prayers. I was on the right track and on my quest in making discoveries  along the paper trail.

To make a long story short. I was wondering who were the parents of Myrtle Peyton. I first came across her on the 1900 census. She was listed a mulatto born about 1886 in Kansas. She was the granddaughter of Harriet  BARTLETT.  Harriet was my Great Grandmother.

I have a list of Harriet's children and of her husband Elias' children to a prior marriage. I narrowed it down to Lucy or Sallie. And I made a lot of discoveries while I was searching for Myrtle's parents.

I searched from Myrtle Peyton and discovered that she marriage a William Younger.  Lucile Mossell who was a witness to their marriage. Lucile "Lucy" was Myrtle's aunt through the Bartlett family.

I came across a Wade PEYTON who listed Myrtle Younger as a next of kin on  a WWII draft card.  Then I started searching for Wade through the Kansas censuses. I discovered that Wade was the son of Wade Hampton. Peyton Sr. (1850 - 1887) and Sarah (Bartlett) Peyton.

In all Myrtle and William had two daughters, Uldene and Gaynell. They later divorced. Myrtle married Earl C. MILLER. On Myrtle's marriage licence to Earl, it stated that Myrtle's mother, Sarah's maiden name was Shaw. I haven't found the place or year of Sarah's death.

I can assume that Sarah "Sallie's" mother was Rachel Shaw. Rachel was Elias' first wife while they were enslaved. I believe that Elias and Harriet were married on Dec 29, 1876 in Carrollton, Missouri.  Myrtle was  most likely Harriet's step granddaughter.

I haven't had any contact with my DNA cousin. I have emailed him. He did have  Uldene Younger  (1901 1991) on his family tree, She was born in St. Joseph, Missouri.

Here's my  Project: The Elias W. Bartlett  Sr. Connections,
I'm still searching for clues.

I hope that you can make some connections with long lost relatives.

Thanks for reading.
Chosen Family Myrtle Peyton~ Week 34
God bless you.
S.A.Blakley

Week 34: Chosen Family

Family isn't always related by blood. Adoptions, step-children, foster children, and special friends of the family can be just as much "family" as those who share DNA. This is the week to highlight one of their stories. via  Genealogy Cafe on facebook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment