Friday, July 30, 2021

Family Fashion #52Ancestors Week 29

I was looking through old photos and thinking about fashion in the family.

I noticed that some of my relatives would be dressed.
I think dressing up for photos was a family tradition back in the days.

I was admiring the few photos that I have of my Great Grandmother Charlotta “Lottie” (Dade) Lankfard (1854 – 1924). She was the daughter of Isaac Dade (1805- 1890) and Francis “Frankie” ( Ovington ) (1810- 1901) Dade. Charlotta and her parents were the enslaved and lived to received their freedom.

Oral history states that Charlotta was a streamstress. I could imagine that she preparing to design her own clothe from material she had to work with. I noticed in this oval photo of her, she had was wearing a belt. And her waist was thin. The designs and patterns combination is beautiful.




In another photo of Charlotta , she is dress with fashionable designed clothing.
The photo was colorized etc. by a tool from My Heritage.

A picture can speak a thousand words.
I can only imagine what she was writing in that book.

Our ancestors had a fashion style of their own. They wore what the had.
I’m thankful for old photos that made it through the test of time.
Each photo is a treasure and there is a story behind each one of them.

May we share some of our photos with others.
May we preserve our photos for future generations.
Amen!

Thanks for reading.
Family Fashion #52Ancestors ~ Week 29
God bless you.
S.A. Blakley

Week 29: Fashion ~ Generations Café via facebook

It’s fun to look at old photos and think, “How did they wear that?!” Corsets, bustles, wool suits, and ridiculously large hats seem so impractical (not to mention heavy!) Any fashion mavens in your family tree? What about an ancestor who had their own sense of style or someone associated with the fashion industry? Feel free to post your links and stories in the comments.

Week 30 (July 26-Aug. 1): Health

No comments:

Post a Comment