Saturday, September 4, 2021

School

 What about school?

By law we all had to attend school either in public school,
private school or home school / virtual learning.
I attended and graduated from public school.

I was thinking about what my dad and what he shared me about his school years.
According to the 1940 census recorded, he completed his freshman year.
He had to work. His father passed in 1918 and his mother passed in 1926.

I have a journal.
When I spoke with my parents about their lives, I would enter a entry.
Below is an entry. This blog information was taken from my entry date July 5, 1982.
=========================================

My dad told me that he used to walk 5 miles to school.
He got up at about 5am. There were 5 blacks in school.
There was about 20 people in all.

The teacher eat a lot, made them work, read out loud.
My father mentioned that the teacher had a ball “of hair” on her head.

They had to bring their own lunch, if your didn’t, you wouldn’t to eat.
The school was from 8 am to 3 pm.
===========================================
Some thoughts:
I can’t recall which school my dad said he went too.
There were only 5 blacks in this class…
This was well before desegregation.

After thoughts: 2021
I don’t recall asking my dad where this school was.
My father was born in 1913.
I did say who were the other 15 students were.
Nor did he say where the 5 blacks seat.

I wish I would have asked more questions.
I was listening to what my dad was sharing.
He didn’t share a lot at once.

Photo: Envelope cover of my kindergarten progress report card; 53 years ago.
I was absence 16 times and half of that we during the second quarter.
I remember someone told me that I missed Santa Claus. He was in class.
I wasn’t much of a talker during discussion time. I played rough.
I had trouble following directions and had trouble tying my shoes.



I did graduate from the same high school as my 17 siblings.
Our parents believe to we need an education.
We shouldn’t stop learning after we finish our schooling years.

May we continue to learn something every day.

Thanks for reading.
Week 35 (Aug. 30-Sept. 5): School
God bless you.
S.A.Blakley

 Week 35: School ~ Generations Café via facebook

It’s back to school time—one of my favorite times of the year! Have you thought about your ancestor’s education? Any teachers or principals in the family? Have you ever visited your ancestor’s old school (or maybe you attended the same school)? Feel free to leave your links and stories in the comments below.

Week 36 (Sept. 6-12): Working

No comments:

Post a Comment