Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Living In The Shadow Of William Washington

 In the beginning, I knew very little about my Washington Family Connections. I made some discoveries from what my mother told me and what material she had on her family. And through years of searching, I came across more on the family through the name of William Washington in the city of St. Joseph, Missouri. William was well, know during his time.

William Washington married his first wife, Miss Susan Leach on September 20, 1866 in St Joseph, Missouri. They were my 2nd great grandparents. They had 5 daughters and a son.

Living In The Shadow Of William Washington And the address of 1801 Mulberry Street

Susan was the daughter of Delilah Lewis. Susan’s name was never mentioned in any of the city directories She was hard to trace. Susan and her family were living in the shadow of William Washington.

When Susan’s mother, Delilah Lewis passed in April of 1887, William was mentioned. Susan’s was not. When William’s and Susan’s son, James drowned at the 102 River in July of 1889. William’s name was mentioned. Susan’s was not.

When Susan passed in January of 1890, she was listed Mrs. William Washington. When Virginia “Jennie” Washington passed in February of 1897, she was listed as the daughter of William Washington.

The crop postcard photo is of what I believe to be, a photo some of the Washington Family.
From left to right: seated are Susan, her husband William and the elderly lady was Delilah, Susan’s mother. The oldest daughter, Anna (behind William,) was my Great Grandmother, Anna Laura. (Photo colorized and repaired via My Heritage.)



There is little known of the other daughters of William and Susan. However, through searching, I discovered more about their daughter, Anna Laura (Washington) Allen Walters. As for Anna’s first husband William Allen, his life is a mystery. Perhaps he was living in someone’s shadow.

Now, I’m wondering about Susan’s siblings. I believe that she wasn’t the only child of Delilah. Delilah lived to be at least 100. Delilah’s 1887 obituary stated that she was about 113.

I continue searching for the Tivis Family Connections. I’m finding shadows there as well. Women were hidden behind their husband’s names. It’s hard to trace women.

Thanks for reading
Living In The Shadow Of William Washington: Week 44 In 2022

I posted this blog on   by Susan Ann Blakley
I added the In Remembrance For March

In Remembrance Dade Family Connections

In Remembrance Bartlett Family Connections

In Remembrance Blakey Blakley WHITE Family Connections. 


God Bless
S.A. Blakley

Week 44 ~ Amy Johnson Crow ~ Generations Café #52Ancestors 52 Weeks ~ facebook group.
This week’s theme is “Shadows.” There are some ancestors who seem to hide in darkness, whose stories are hard to tease out. There are also people who “live in the shadow” of someone else. This week, shine some light on one of those ancestors

No comments:

Post a Comment