Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Preserving Family History For Future Generation

 Happy Family History Month!

Preserving Family History For Future Generations Repost 

I’m thankful for the paper trail that my ancestors left behind. I’m thankful for those who recorded information for future use. I wish more records could have been preserved. I wish that there were more sources for the enslaved with their full names.



I took the photo of that tree during the Fall of 2018 somewhere on the East coast.

I’ve been compiling information on my family for decades. I’ve been thinking of what accumulated. What Now? What am I working on and how am I preserving my family history? Where is this information housed? How am I keep things up?

Here are some of my ideas that I have created over the 40+ years of searching.
I began in the mid 1970’s but didn’t get into searching until in the 1980’s.
I began to get hooked in 2007 with a wealth of new discoveries.
I continue to stumble across more discoveries as I keep searching.

Paper Space
Notebooks: In the beginning of my journey notes and questions
Notebooks: Searching for Records and The Replies

Notebooks: Copies of Death, Marriage, Land etc.
Notebooks Compiled Family Groups Sheets

Notebook: Oral History
Notebooks: Handwritten stories of “The Stories We Tell…”
Notebooks: Family Reunions: Lankford and BBW

Military Records: Civil War folder: Private Isaac Blaker a.k.a Isaac BLAKEY
Funeral Booklets: Obituaries, etc.

Hard Cover Books: Family History fill in the blank books.
Scrip Books: news clippings
Photo Albums: Paper printed photos

Notebooks of Letters , Cards, and etc. from relatives and people
Notebooks of some of my siblings’ children’s drawings when they were kids.

Calendars: Desk size to record what doing and making new discoveries.
Calendars: In Remembrance per family connections branch
Calendars: For events of current year.

Notebooks: My Grade Cards, Awards, Birthday Cards, Printed Blogs and etc.
Notebooks; Misc. Church Info, etc.

Submitted some of deceased family members information to publications
Submitted other information to other publications in the 1980’s and 1990’s

Digital Space:
Created Social Media Accounts: Sharing family connections
Created Family Connections Page and Groups on Social Media facebook
DADE, ~ BARTLETT, ~ Blakey Blakley WHITE, and TIVIS

Created Online Blog websites: Journaling about Family Connections (Future Post)
Created Find A Grave Memorials of loved ones and non family members.
Created Family Trees on Ancestry.com, Family Tree and other websites.

Video, Cassette Tapes,
Cellphone Data

DNA Data accounts on Ancestry and 23 And Me
Created DNA accounts: Download / Uploaded DNA for free
Connecting with relatives ~ and for future use

What can I continue to do to preserve my family connections?
With all that I have, I have been sharing some of my discoveries. I can’t remember when I came up with the idea to honor those in my family connections who have passed. I began posting them when their anniversary birth and passing dates come. I continue to do so as the years come to past.

I’m keep reviewing my family tree.
I continue to keep updating when possible
I continue to sharing with others.

October is Family History Month.
What better way to start preserving family records.
I’m taking inventory of what I have accumulated.
Now I ‘m needing to get more organized.

How are you preserving your family history? Hope you have started.
I encourage you to write and record your family history and preserve it for your family.
With all the avenues of today’s tools and technology you’re bound to come up with something.

Think about those who are not born yet. They may wonder how we lived and what we did. Some of our future generations will be thankful. I’m thankful for those who left their paper trail.
.
Thanks for reading
Preserving Family History For Generations To Come.

I add the  October In Remembrance: to this blog

The Dade Family Connections


The Bartlett Family Connections

 The Blakey Blakley WHITE Family Connections

God bless
S. A. Blakley

Week 40 ~ Amy Johnson Crow ~ Generations Café #52Ancestors 52 Weeks ~ facebook group

The monthly theme for October and Week 40 is “Preservation.” Think for a moment about all of the records you’ve used in your family history research and what it took to preserve them. What are you thankful that was preserved (or what do you wish had been preserved)? What are you working to preserve?

No comments:

Post a Comment