Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Awareness Of Some Things

In October of 2009, I was searching for my family history. I was aware of something for the first time. It was like something new to me. But it's been there all along.

I was doing some research on my father's mother's side. A thought come to me. Here's what I came up with.

My Grandma Jennie BARTLETT ( 1883 -1926) had about 6 half siblings born into slavery. Her father, Elais W. BARTLETT Sr. He was born about 1822. He remarried to his second wife, Harriet HOOPER ( 1849 -1909).

They were married for about 25 year and had about 6 children. Elais had other children with his first wife Rachel. All but one was born into slavery.

I was thinking about my great aunts and great uncles. In 1981, I met my Great Aunt Mary. She was my Grandpa John's sister in law. Great Aunt Mary was born in 1894. She was about 89 when we met.

When we think of Grandparents and Great Aunts and Great Uncles, we can get the thought of them being up in age. I mean the type of mind set of an elderly person. How old is old to be an aunt, an uncle, a parent or a grandparent ?

I know of some people who become grandparents in their 40's and some in their 30's. As for being a great aunt, I've been one since I was about 23.

It's in how we look that things. I didn't know how I didn't see that some of my Grandma Jennie's sibling were slaves. Oh, well. I'm glad that it came to my awareness. What more will I come across?

Staying On The Journey
Awareness Of Some Things

It's good to know.
Have A Good Day!

Blessings,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment