Monday, October 22, 2012

Who Was John Blake?

On October 23, 2011, I was re reading some of my letters from my cousin. I saw some things that I began my search to find more on John Blake. I had very little clues to follow.

I first heard of John Blake in the late 1980's. Cousin Willie (White) Winfrey was sharing with me some of the family history. She mentioned that her father, Richard White had another brother named, Josh White.

Josh White had a son named John BLAKE and three daughters. John Blake was raised by a large family. John tooked the BLAKE surname.

As I've been searching I came across a family in Chariton County, Missouri on the 1900 census. There was  John Blake listed with a Louis and Mary A. Blake with many children.

As I've looked through other census records, I came across this John born around 1882 in MO. He was the step son of Louis BLAKE. Louis married Mary Ann Johnson in 1885.

There was a John Blake on the 1910 census with a Arretta Blake and Mattie White. I think that this could be a connection. This Mattie White was widowed. She was the mother of 5 children. Only 4 were living. None of her children were listed at this place.

I found Mattie White listed as a widowed with 4 children. She was the mother of 5 children on the 1900 census. I think that Mattie could have been counted twice on the 1910 census.

Here are the BLAKEs 1900 - 1920 census
1900 Chariton, Howard County Missouri
Lewis Blake born about Aug 1863 Married in 1885
Mary A. Blake born about Jan 1865. She was the mother of 10
Merritt
William
Nelllie
Rector H.
Oscar
George
Frank
Elenor
John (Stepson)

1910 Burton, Howard County,  Missouri
Lewis
Mary
Merrit
Rex
Oscar
George
Frank
Elnora
Maggie
Corina
William

1910 Burton, Howard County Missouri
John Blake age about 30: Born MO
Arrette Blake

Mattie White age about 46;
Born about 1864 in MO.
Widow: Mother from VA.

1910
Mattie White age about 46:
 Born in MO. Widow
Parents From MO.
Elda (Ella) age about 24
Oressie age about 8

1920
Lewis
John
Will (William)
Rex
Frank
Elnora
Maggie (Valentine)
Corine
Swetzie

The information matches up with what some of my cousins told me. I  believe that this John Blake was relatives to the Mattie White listed on the census.  She was most likely her Aunt.

The story of Josh WHITE  children is still a mystery. I haven't come across any BLAKE descendants.  Nor of Joshua's daughters. Perhaps some of Joshua White's descendants will make some discoveries on the journey.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment