Tuesday, March 17, 2015

In Remembrance Of Rachel Blakey

 What have I discovered about Rachel Blakey, the beloved wife of  Isaac Blakey?

According to Rachel's obituary, she departed this life on Friday, March 17, 1916 at 7:30 pm at the age of 59.  According to her death record, Rachel's life was 59 years, 11 months and one day old. She was the daughter of Andrew Lafayette and Charity; maiden name unknown. Rachel was born in Mississippi, a housewife and passed on in Salisbury, Missouri.

According to Rachel's obituary; She was a consistent Christian. She became a Christian in 1883 and was a member of  The First Baptist Church in Forest Green, Missouri since 1889.  Rachel was devoted mother and a loving wife. Her husband and 11 children attended her funeral.

The link of Rachel's obituary was attached to her memorial on Find A Gave 
Her husband and her children are listed on her memorial.

I came across the list of Rachel's children through her husband, Isaac's pension records, from censuses, family history booklets, pension records and misc. 

Through my years of searching, I came across more on Rachel. I even had an opportunity to see a photo of her on Saturday, October 31, 1981 in Yankton, South Dakota.  I continued to search for information on for Family Connections.

I believe that there's more information about Rachel. There are other photos of her. I pray that others will share what they know. I believe that her surname was Jackson. I came across another record listing her as Rachel Jackson. I wonder; What was her maiden name?


I first came across Rachel's name in this article entitled: Slavery Descendants Have First Reunion.



Here a part of the 1971 article which mentioned Isaac and Rachel.

Who was Rachel Ann  Jackson Lafayette / Lefew /  Lephridge Blakey?
Rachel was the woman who raised my Grandfather John Blakey / Blakley as her own son.

I hope to find more  Blakey family connections.
Here's the list of Rachel's children by Isaac.

Mary (White) Blakey Green
Charity Blakey
Isaac Blakey

Jordan Blakey
Julia Blakey

Frances Blakey
Henry Blakey
Beecher Blakey

Lillie / Susie (Blakey) Hayes
Spencer T. Blakey

Martha "Mot" (Blakey) Hayes
Joe Blakey
Rosa Blakey

Ollie "Deke" Blakey
Edna Mae / Edner (Blakey) Marion Jackson Bentley
David Blakey
Annie Rebecca Blakey

Lawhorn "Doc" Blakey
Archie T. Blakey

I have another blog comparing the names of the Blakey children with other names that I came across.  It's interesting. Oral history stated that Rachel had 18 children. The other names could have been nicknames of the children. Example the name David. There are 19 children listed above.

Thanks for reading.
S.A. Blakley

No comments:

Post a Comment