Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Jennie Bartlett Connections: The Blakleys and The Lyles

I was thinking about my Grandma Jennie Bartlett Blakley Lyles's children. Grandma Jennie's life wasn't long. She passed away on December 26, 1926 at the age of 41. She was said to have had about 17 or 19 children. I was trying to piece together Jennie life through what I know about her.

My mother's mother Mary Allen Lankford told my mother, Lula that Grandma Jennie had 19 children. I have search records and found 17 of them. I've tried to piece together Jennie's life as when her children were born.

Jennie was born in May of 1883 in Carrollton, Missouri. She was the daughter of Elias and Harriett Hooper Bartlett. At some point in Jennie's life she, her mother and some of her siblings left Carrollton, MO. They ended up in St. Joseph, MO. I can't pin point the year when they again their move. Lucy Mossell, Jennie's half sister was in St. Joseph in 1900.

In the beginning stages of my search, I thought that Jennie may have eloped with John Blakey in MO.  John's family was from Chartion County MO area. I don't know where John and Jennie met. I can assume that knew each other for a year are so... 1901 or 1900

I came cross Jennie's marriage record. She married her first husband, John Blakey in April of 1902 in Excels Spring, MO. Before the year was up Jennie's first child was stillborn in Nov 1902.

I can assume since Jennie had a half sister living in St. Joseph, that was why the family came. Perhaps that was why Jennie and John settled there too. I see that Jennie's mother, Harriette and siblings, Lucy, Paul, Waneta came to St. Joseph, as well. I came across two Sam Barletts. Don't know if they were related.

Here is what I can assume of Jennie through her children's births:


Here's a list of Jennie's children by John:

Unnamed female stillborn Blakey 

StillbornNovember 10. 1902
Edna Blakey
1903 - 1904




John Blakley Jr.
John R. Blakley Jr
1905 - 1974

John married Alma Lottie
They didn't have children.
Lottie had children from a previous marriage.

Isaac Blakley

Isaac Blakley

1906 - 1980

Isaac married Anna Lankford
They had two sons
 


Paul Blakley
Paul Blakley

1907 - 1946

Paul married Cora Hinch
They adopted a son and a daughter.
The children took the Green surname
 

Cecil Blakey
Cecil Blakey
1908 - 1909


Cecil was a girl

Jaunita Blakey

Jaunita Blakey
1910 - 1910

Olbrey Pierson Blakley
Olbrey Pierson Blakley
1912 - 1943

Olbrey was a Reverend
He was believed to have fathered a child.

 
Mary Jane Blakley
Mary Jane Blakley Richardson
1911 - 2001

Mary married Eugene Richardson
They adopted two daughters
 
David Blakley
David Blakley
1913 - 1989

David married Lula Lankford
They had 19 children
 

 
Hazel V. Blakley

Hazel V. Blakley
1915 - 1933
Hazel died with child


Baby (Boy) Blakley
1917 -1918
Baby Boy's first name wasn't listed.
John Blakley Sr. died 4 months after Jennie's last child was born.
Jennie had to raise her children.
Jennie remarried to Chilton Lyle year unknown perhaps in 1920.

Jennie's children by Chilton Lyle


Doris Lyles
Davis Lyles
Dorothy Lyles
Don't know the name or names of this child (ren).
There were two death records.
There was a single birth with different names and death date.

April 27, 1920 to July 3 or 5, 1920

Faris C. Lyle
Sgt. Faris C. Lyle
1923 - 2008

Faris married Katheryn ?
They had 5 sons and a daughter
Geneva Lyle Jones

Geneva Lyle
1924 - 2006

Geneva married Carl Jones
They had 4 sons and a daughter

Edgar Lyle
Oct 17, 1925  to April 16, 1926

My mother told me that Jennie worked very hard.
She was a small woman. She died of a heart attack on Dec 26, 1926.
She left behind a husband, 9 children.
And some siblings.

As for Jennie's children, some of the older Blakley siblings took care of some of the younger Blakleys. As for the Lyle two children, they went to an orphanage home for children on Lafayette Street in St. Joseph, MO.

Hope to come across more some day.
Meanwhile...

Staying On The Family History Journey

Blessings,
Susan

3 comments:

  1. Hello my name is Imani and i came across this family history blog. Faris C Lyle was my grandfather. He has 4 children still living. I would love to know more about the family and would love to exchange information from what little I know with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Imani,

    I don't know much about my Uncle Faris' children or the Lyle lineage. I've been searching.

    Have you check out Find A Grave? My Find A Grave Project? I've set up some memorial on some of the Lyles.

    Are you on facebook? I am. My name there is Susan Ann Blakley, the one with the black hat. :)

    Any information will bring some hope. Hope to connection.....And add some more to the family tree. Thanks for commenting. I apppreciate it. Blessings to you.

    Cousin,
    Susan

    P.S.
    The last post comment I removed to addd more to this one.

    ReplyDelete