Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Character

 

Character #52Ancestors Week 34


As I’m discovering people on my family connections, I am finding relatives who were actors, actresses, etc. How amazing! And I have discovered some who are currently in the entertainment world.

Character:
This famous actress married into the family. I heard of her. But, not as a relative. My Aunt Josie discovered the family connections while reading the JET Magazine. My aunt told me this story in July of 2010.

While my Aunt Josie was reading about this actress in the magazine, saw her Uncle Nymadula Lankford’s name. She said “WHAT, Uncle Nym?” She didn’t know this herself. I haven’t heard of this either until she told me. This must been a family secret or lost family connections.

Wondering. Who is this well know actress and the character she played? Her famous character name was “Manny” in “Gone With The Wind.” She won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 1940.

Her name is Hattie McDaniel. Her second husband was Nymadula Lankfard, my great uncle. Hattie’s surname was Lankfard at the time she won her Oscar on February 29, 1940. And it happened to be Nym’s birthday.

Hattie McDainel filed for divorce from Nym in 1937 and it was finalized in 1938.


The Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, California)15 Sep 1937, Wed Page 44

I heard that my Great Uncle Isaac Blakey loved going hunting. One of his hunting buddies was Clark Gable. Yes, the one in “Gone With The Wind.” What a small world.

Thanks for reading.
Character #52Ancestors ~Week 34
God bless you.
S.A. Blakley

 Week 34: Character ~ ~ Generations Café via facebook

Characters — there’s at least one in every family. Who in your family could be described as a character, someone who marches to the beat of their own drum? Or maybe you have an actor or writer in the family? Share their story this week. Feel free to leave your links and stories in the comments below.

Week 35 (Aug. 30-Sept. 5): School

No comments:

Post a Comment