Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Part Of The Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.P. Dec 7, 1991 - Dec 2, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is an update on A.P., My sister's almost 15 year old dog. I got the word that A.P. had to be put to sleep this morning.

He had been suffering with arthritis with his back legs. The doctor thought that A.P. could have had a stroke or had a tumor. It was best to put him to sleep. A.P. was a outside dog. He was not able to get around.

What I can tell you about A.P. He was part shepherd and Lab. He lived a HAPPY life. He lived across the street from us. A.P. was born on Dec 7, 1991. [A.P. was the football player's dog.... Double D's.]

His Ma was taking care of A.P... Double D was the one that gave A.P. this name. A.P. does not stand for Associated Press.

A.P. was named after a basketball player in MO, who later made it to the NBA. Some how back in '91 this Anthony was big time then. Some how the letters A.P. came to be this dog's name.

A.P. grew up with four "cousin" dogs, "Luke", "Duke", "Messy Marvin", and "Little Bit". "M. Marvin" looked just like A.P. They got along pretty good together.

You could have thought that "M. Marvin" was his daddy. A.P." cousin dogs" taught him well throughout out his young dog life. One by one A.P. cousins dogs died. A.P. was left alone.

A.P. did not get along with other dogs. He would always get into fights. When a new dog came to keep A.P. company, A.P. would not like them. There was one dog A.P. liked. She was the "neighbor dog".

I called her "Rover". She would come over to A.P. place and they would play. Her real name was "Gigett." Gigett would climb the fence to get in. Then there were days that I did not see "Gigett".

I asked my neighbor were she was..."Gigett had to be put to sleep. She was 15. That was about 6 or 7 years ago.

Then A.P. did not have any "dog friends". So my sister got another dog to keep A.P. company. A.P. did not like this dog.

This dog did not stay long. His name was "Coco". He liked going around the neighborhood to kill cats and bring them home to show what he did... My sister got rid of that dog. "Coco" was a bird dog. Black Lab.

So A.P. was all alone again. Not to long after "Coco" left. A.P. started to break loose. At one time it was just for a short while... he came back. The second time A.P. was gone for about a week.

We look for him but could not find him. Until one day he came up the street. I had a talk with A.P. He did not listen to me.

The third time A.P. broke loose he was gone for about two weeks. Two of my brothers were out working and A.P. recognized truck and came running after them. A.P. was happy to see them and happy to be home.

I had another long talk with A.P. Yeah, that was the last time he broke loose. Then one day summertime July 2002, a dog came in the neighborhood.

A.P. liked this dog. A.P. let this dog sleep in his house, drink his water and eat his food. A.P. was in love. Yeah, this dog was a female.

The female dog was later named "Babe". There was one thing that A.P. would not let "Babe" have....his biscuits. A.P. loved his biscuits.

Four months later A.P. became a "father" dog.[ Note: I think it takes about 63 days for a dog to have puppies.] There were 8 dogs in all.

Two died within the day of the birth. The other six were 5 boys and 1 girl. Yeah, A.P. helped raised his family. I heard that when it was time to get fed, A.P. made sure that all the other dogs had food first before he would eat.

A.P. would not eat until he knew that all had food when they were puppies. A.P. would bark if it was time to eat. He look after his family. He always wanted his biscuits. He had to have two.

On March 8, 2006 the "Mama dog""Babe" had to be put to sleep. A.P. was left with three "sons dogs and a step son dog". He lived out his happy life.

A.P.'s grand daughter.... "Sugar Bear". She looks like her grandpa, A.P.

A.P. had trouble walking. It got worst. The only thing that A.P. had trouble with was his walking. I heard that he eat well during his last days. I knew that he missed his biscuits.

A.P. left me with memories... I saw A.P. one day barking up in the air. I thought to myself, what is he barking at. I looked up and saw an air plane.

It appears that A.P. saw it too. A.P. was a smart dog. Yeah, we got one of A.P.'s off springs..... "Sister"[she's the black and white dog above.]

She was the only girl of the bunch. "Sister" had six puppies this year. We kept one of them. I named him "Sunny", he's the tan and white dog above. "Sunny" is as big as his mama.

I can see a little of A.P. in his off springs. In all A.P. was a GOOD DOG. I called him my "nephew dog". So "Sister" is my "great niece "dog. "Sunny" is my 2nd great "nephew "dog.

I share this story with you because I believe that animals are a part of the family. I learned a lot by my dogs and others dogs. They have a personalty too that brings joy into our lives.

God gives us gifts to enjoy. I enjoy my gifts of caring for "Sister", "Sunny" and "Spotty". They are a part of the family. A.P. was too.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment