Saturday, October 31, 2015

Remembering Yankton October 31, 1981

I've been thinking about my journey to Yankton, South Dakota.  I can't forget it. I've learned more about my family connections over the years.

It's been 34 years since I met my Great Auntie Mary "Lovie" (KINNEY) BLAKEY. She was my Grandpa John BLAKEY / BLAKLEY's sister in law. Great Auntie Mary was my only Great Auntie that I remember meeting in person. That was the only time we've met.

On Saturday, October 31, 1981, I met some other relatives in Yankton. Some of Mary's grandchildren, Mary Jane and her husband James LIGHTNER and Mary Jane's sister Doris and some of their children.

It was a long journey getting there. I was glad, I made it. It was on this day that discovered who my Great Grandpa was. I thought his name was John Blakey. But his name was Isaac Blakey. Mary Jane had a photo of our Great Grandpa Isaac with his wife Rachel. I was amazed to see that photo. I wished I took a picture of it. Below is a photo of my Great Grandpa Isaac.

Private Isaac Blakey
(1845- 1917)

I was fascinated by all the things Great Aunt Mary and cousin, Mary Jane had been sharing with me through our corresponds over the years. As I look back, I'm thankful that I kept the letters that Mary Jane wrote me. I've been re reading them. There are some things I forgot about.

I've been searching more of the clues that Mary Jane spoke of in her letters. At that time, I didn't know what cousin Mary was speaking about. But, as I'm coming across more information, there are some things that are making some sense.

I thank God for all that I've encountered on my journey quest to know more about my family connections. I have come across a lot of relatives in the process. I hope to connect with more. If not in person, by internet. That's how I have been finding family connections.

Thanks for reading.
S. A. Blakley

No comments:

Post a Comment